Growing up I was obsessed with rummaging through my mother’s make-up and any other beauty product that I could lay my hands on. As a young girl I was always experimenting with the latest products for skin care, hair and nails. Today, this is still very much the same – minus the rummaging through my mother’s stuff, okay only on occasion – however, my focus has shifted on finding more natural ways to fulfill my beauty needs.
One of the things that I try to incorporate into my daily beauty regimen is coconut oil. It has so many incredible health benefits and there are so many ways that you can use it – there’s a reason why it’s recently gained so much popularity. With its delightful smell and amazing moisturizing properties, here are 8 ways that you can use coconut oil as a daily beauty tool.
- Body/Face Scrub: Make your own body and face scrub by combining some coconut oil and a bit of brown sugar. Apply this all over your body and face while in the shower, rinse and viola! You have smooth, glowing skin that smells oh-so coconut-y.
- Shaving Cream: Replace your normal shaving cream by using coconut oil instead and give yourself a smooth shave! Using coconut oil as an alternative is beneficial if you are sensitive to the chemicals in normal shaving creams or have sensitive skin in general.
- Cuticle Oil: Use coconut oil on your cuticles, especially when they’re dry and looking a bit ragged. Just put some coconut oil on them daily, either in the morning or at night, and over time you’ll notice that you’re nails will become stronger and less brittle.
- Makeup Remover: Coconut oil is a great gentle makeup remover. Simply put some on a cotton pad and rub gently around your eye area to get rid of makeup. Rather than using a makeup remover full of synthetic chemicals, this is a better, natural option for your skin.
- Moisturizer: Coconut oil is super hydrating. It’s amazing to use on the skin, especially the gentle skin around your eyes – the area that’s often the first place on the face to show lines and wrinkles. You can also use it all over your body.
- Hair Mask: Use coconut oil as a hair mask to soften your hair and add moisture. Just apply to your hair from the roots and really focus on the ends (if you have oily hair you can avoid the roots altogether). Leave the mask in for 30-45 minutes and then rinse it out in the shower, followed by shampoo and conditioner. You won’t believe how soft your hair will be!
- Frizz-Tamer: Use coconut oil to smooth flyways and add shine to your hair. Just make sure to only use a tiny amount, you don’t want to look like an oil slick!
- Lip Balm: Use coconut oil to help keep your lips smooth and hydrated. You can do this throughout the day by putting some coconut oil into a small compact container like this and throwing it in your purse. Dab onto your lips whenever you need.
Keep in mind, you can use any brand of coconut oil you like, but my preference is Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
To learn more about the different types and brands of coconut oil and to help choose one that’s right for you check out How to Choose A Coconut Oil: Comparing Best and Worst Brands.
Do you use coconut oil for any of your beauty needs? Please share them with me!