There’s absolutely nothing better than pancakes for breakfast. In fact, there’s nothing better than pancakes period – I would eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could.
My hips however, would hate me.
While I sit here and dream of eating pancakes on the regular, I may as well share one of my delicious, yet healthy recipes for this favourite food of mine – banana protein style! Not only are these babies yummy, they’re super easy to make requiring minimal basic ingredients, they’ll help keep you satisfied (so you won’t need to eat as much) and bonus, they are gluten-free. That’s definitely a score if you ask me!
So, if you have a love for pancakes and hold them near and dear to your heart like I do, here’s what you will need to whip these up:
• 1/2 medium ripe banana
• 2 egg whites
• 1-tablespoon protein powder of your choice (whey, vegan, etc.)
• 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
• 1/2 cup fresh berries or sliced bananas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 – 15 minutes
1. Place the banana in a medium bowl and use a fork to mash it up against the sides of the bowl. Add egg whites, and then use a whisk to blend together.
2. Measure your protein powder, flaxseed meal, cinnamon and vanilla extract and add to the bowl. Again whisk together until everything is blended well.
3. Coat a medium, non-stick pan with cooking spray or olive oil and place over low-medium heat. Wait for the pan to heat up, then pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan.
4. Allow pancakes to cook until bubbles begin to form and then flip to the other side with a spatula. Let the other side cook. Repeat this as many times as it takes to finish the batter (usually will make 3-4 pancakes).
4. Top with syrup and fruit and enjoy!
Do you have a favourite type of pancake?